Hanging Plants & Vertical Gardens

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon might have been a myth, but the 'recent' trend of suspending plants is certainly not. Maybe I've been under a rock & these botanical creations have always existed, but I've only been introduced to them recently. Up until a year or so ago all I knew of hanging baskets were the traditional, English-cottage, begonia-filled versions.

As I mentioned in the last post about our Thai travels, I became so aware of all the floating plants with exposed roots whilst we were in Thailand. Did vertical gardens and hanging plants actually originate there? I saw so many suspended orchids with aerial roots & mini leafy creepers in giant snail shells that looked totally at home there.  Previously, I'd only seen this local girl's gorgeous work at Opus and others on Pinterest.
I thought it was a new trend but I must say they looked totally natural, un-designed & like they'd been there forever. 


Aerial roots @ Chotika Riverfront


I love the uncontrived collection of coconut filled planters & other creepers hanging from this bamboo @ Chotika Riverfront
Filled Snail Shells outside a shop in Amphawa
Hanging creepers in Amphawa


This installation is a green solution featured by MBK in Bangkok. Beautiful, practical & a media solution










     



















I guess the orchids love the humid conditions of Thailand but I think these mini gardens can be created for any environment. Gardening is downscaled to any size, no matter how small, to add interest to a vertical space in the kitchen, bathroom or office & they're perfect for balconies, patio areas or to brighten up a window. The 1st 2 articles here show how this style of gardening can work for apartments, to add a bit of greenery to a balcony. Apartment Therapy even feature a veggie version, & I must say there is s'thg quite beautiful about a canopy of apparently weightless gourds!

Anyway, I'm glad these botanical creations have spread across the Pacific, (or that I've at least finally been acquainted with these clever little design features!)

I love them. I want them everywhere - despite my very ungreen fingers, I'm inspired!

So, I left Thailand with 2 things to help me bring this design feature in to my home.
Firstly, I made sure we left with a well documented series of photos of a vertical garden structure that I'm hoping we can recreate at home with ferns & succulents. Looks fairly easy?!...

Simple vertical structure to house ferns & cover a wall

Then when we were in Amphawa on a river market trip,  I spotted these beautifully carved coconut shell planters. This weekend, I got planting!

I wanted to emulate the snail planter we have from Opus which has a Dischidia growing in it, but I couldn't find that or similar.
So for my DIY version I used : a flowering Peppermint , a perennial succulent called lemon ball & peace in the home. I also had a rather cute little helper <3





I lined the coconuts with felt - simply cut in a circle & then snipped to the centre so that it fits snuggly in to the shell with varying degrees of drainage holes.


 



And, tah da!










I think it's going to look fab in our white bathroom, I just need to get a hook to hang it from the ceiling.

Happy planting.
x













2 comments:

  1. Nice Vertical Garden Developers and its services. Garden View Landscape also provide vertical gardens, palm transplantation and Commercial landscaping in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing about Hanging Planters. You Content is really informative us.......


    Hanging Planters
    Unique Hanging Planters
    wooden hanging planters

    ReplyDelete